Sunday, August 23, 2015

FOOD TRADITIONS

I love food that I love.  Even thinking about it  – good ol' comfort food that I'm familiar with.  Rarely does a new recipe taste as good as a tried and true, many-times-cooked dish.  And it's fun to think about where they started.  Sundays growing up – roast and gravy and potatoes - don't forget the peas.  I'd love for someone now to cut up a banana and place the slices on a piece of iceberg lettuce, especially on a hot summer's day, just like Mom did.  Meatloaf and baked potatoes?  I cringed when Mom said that's what we were having for dinner, but not anymore.  A "Burt"-sized piece of chocolate cake.  The days following Thanksgiving with turkey smothered in cranberry sauce on a roll sprinkled with salt.

It's fun to think about where some of these most familiar and looked-forward-to foods came from.  

FUDGE

Mom remembers that at the "cousins' parties," if her Aunt Wynona (Grandma Webb's sister-in-law) was there, so was the fudge. 
Wynona, Grandma Cottrell, Mickie, Maida, (the Aunts)
Maida Jean (Mom) (being held), Marilyn, Bobbie, Colleen (cousins)

Great-Aunt Wynona Cottrell

Then, through Mom, we became the recipient of chocolate heaven.  Now, happily for us, Patti is the designated fudge maker.   

Patti's well-used fudge recipe


APPLESAUCE COOKIES

Along with carrot cookies and orange frosting, I remember having applesauce cookies.  So when I got married, I started making applesauce cookies and have never stopped. When the kids came along, I doubled the batch.  I'm now having to force myself to make just a single batch for me and Scott, we don't need over 60 cookies at one time; we want them, but we don't need them.  I wish I knew how many thousands of applesauce cookies I have made over the years...

Mom said she got the recipe from our across-the-street neighbor Donna Meadows.  THANK YOU, DONNA!  When Scott and I moved back into the home on Antimony in 1985, Donna and Lee became good friends, and through all those years of living there, I probably didn't realize that is where the recipe came from to thank her for it.  

APPLESAUCE COOKIES

1/2 c shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup applesauce
3 cups flour
1 t cloves
1 t cinnamon
1-1/2 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt
chocolate chips (1/2 package)
Cream shortening and sugar.  Add egg and vanilla.  Sift all dry ingredients.  Add alternately with applesauce. Add chocolate chips.  Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.  Makes about 30 cookies.

Applesauce Cookies

MANICOTTI

Around 1995, we had a ward Relief Society social.  Cleo Ricks (Karen Travis' mother) brought a manicotti dish and I got her recipe.  I started making it and it has become a favorite of mine and the kids, and now even Addy!  

Karen Travis holding Brock, 1991
(For all of the time we all spent with the Travis' I could find
very few pictures. I loved this one.)

MANICOTTI

1 large carton cottage cheese
8 oz mozzarella, grated
2 eggs
parsley flakes, salt pepper
Mix ingredients.  With narrow spoon, fill uncooked manicotti shells.  Place in 9x13 pan with space between shells.  Mix 1 cup water with 32 oz. jar spaghetti sauce, pour over shells covering completely. Bake, covered tightly with foil, at 375 for 45-60 minutes. 

Do you know where your favorite foods come from?






2 comments:

  1. We make manicotti regularly and both Alicia and I still love it. Addy likes it too and we can count on her to have a huge dinner when we make it. We've also made it for people in the ward, and the husband of one family liked it so much that he had his wife start making it and wanted it for his birthday dinner at his place too.

    So thank you Cleo and Karen!

    ReplyDelete